Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Benifits of Nike+

I recently sprained my ankle playing basketball, limiting my ability to run. After downloading Nike+ to my iPhone, I decided to go on a nature walk on the beautiful greenbelt of Boise, Idaho. The application for iPhone really impressed me. The reasons being the ease of use, the recap of the workout, and the goal setting that is available on the app. I want to be a football coach and I see a variety of uses for this app besides the health benefits that could occur for myself.

After going on this nature walk, I felt fantastic. Spending some time by the river can be very therapeutic. Being able to recap the walk I just went on through Nike+ contributed to this fantastic feeling. Being able to see how fast your pace is, the distance, and the addition to my mile total all made the experience better. The fact of seeing in graph form where you just ran, gives you a sense of accomplishment that cannot be felt without the app.

My favorite part about this app is the potential use of it in my future coaching endeavors. I could start a group for my football team and have them track their workouts on a daily basis. This will give me a much better indicator of how each individual player is training than solely observing them workout. The ability to see all my players progress on a tangible piece of evidence will lead to better individual attention of players. By spending more individual time with players, the team will become better because everybody learns their own way. Accessing this way of learning in players can be done from individual attention. The other major plus of this app is the ability to see how others in the group are performing. This will lead to better competition between teammates for positions. Having better competition at positions will lead to better performance on the field. In the words of Coach Pete Carrol "Always Compete!"

No comments:

Post a Comment