Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Glimpse into the Life of Taylor Crabill

      To start off, my name is Taylor Crabill, I want to be a high school Spanish Teacher and Football Coach. My interests include; Spanish music, coaching, anything football related, the universe, competing, science, and penguins. I am from the Capitol of Washington, not Seattle, Olympia. Since leaving Washington, it has blown my mind how many people think that Seattle is the Capitol of Washington. I went to Capital High School where my entire life consisted of Football and School. I was able to maintain a 3.7 GPA throughout high school. My favorite class in high school was Spanish, something about the language just fascinates me to no end. Something I enjoy more than Spanish is coaching.
      I have had the opportunity to help coach on at least 10 different teams since my first year of high school. This is where I found my passion in life, coaching young people. It is by far the most rewarding thing I have ever done. It feels 100 times better for me to watch a kid that you have mentored succeed than to see myself succeed. Seeing kids succeed when you directly have involvement with them is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. That is probably where my inspiration to become a teacher came from.
      As I stated above, my favorite class in high school was Spanish and coaching is my passion in life. Coaching and teaching are very similar in my experience. There is a saying that, "The best coaches are teachers". This saying has never made much sense to me because the two terms are just synonyms to each other in my opinion. Both jobs are about the success of the children directly under your mentoring. Combining Spanish and coaching, I naturally came to the conclusion to be Spanish teacher and a football coach. To become fluent in Spanish, I will be studying abroad at this time next year in San Sebastian, España. I am interested in teaching Spanish because it give a unique cultural perspective that a lot of middle class white males do not get to experience. In the process of learning the language I will be immersed in another culture that all I know about is that they love soccer. Somebody needs to teach me to soccer before I head over there. My goal as a teacher will be to give as much of this unique cultural perspective to my students as possible. 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment